Benghazi attack not work of Al-Qaeda: Report
NEW YORK (AFP) - Al-Qaeda had no direct involvement in the attack on the US mission in Benghazi that left four Americans dead on September 11 last year, The New York Times reported.
In an investigation published on its website on Saturday and based on extensive reporting in the Libyan city, the Times said the killing of US ambassador Chris Stevens and three of his countrymen was the work of local fighters.
The report could likely stir up controversy in Washington, where the Obama administration has repeatedly been accused of covering up what happened in Benghazi - a charge it denies.
The newspaper also said the attack may indeed have been sparked by citizens who headed to the US mission after being angered by an anti-Islamic video that had aired on local television channels.