Bahrain bans all protests and gatherings amid violence
Published on Oct 30, 2012 2:40 PM
DUBAI (AFP) - Bahrain has banned all protests and gatherings to ensure security, the interior minister said on Tuesday, after clashes erupted between Shi'ite-led demonstrators and security forces in the Sunni-ruled Gulf state.
Sheikh Rashid bin Abdullah al-Khalifa made the announcement in a statement carried by the official BNA news agency, saying the decision was taken to preserve "civil peace".
The minister stressed recent opposition protests led by the Shi'ite movement Al-Wefaq had been marred by "acts of sabotage" and that the demonstrators had "called for the overthrow of the government".
"It was decided to stop all rallies and gatherings (to ensure) ... security is maintained," said the statement.
To continue reading, log in if you are a subscriber
If you are not a subscriber, you can get instant, unlimited access here