Australian wildfires destroy more than 30 homes, injuries unknown
Published on Feb 10, 2014 10:05 AM
MELBOURNE (AFP) - More than 30 homes have been razed in southeastern Australia in the worst fire conditions seen since a deadly 2009 inferno which killed 173 people, with flames threatening the nation's second-largest city, officials said on Monday.
Hot, dry winds and soaring temperatures fanned scores of major blazes across the south-east on Sunday, with Victoria state sweltering through its worst fire risk weather in five years.
The emergency came exactly five years after the so-called Black Saturday firestorm devastated the state, flattening whole towns in what was Australia's deadliest natural disaster of the modern era.
Victoria state premier Dennis Napthine said on Sunday had been the worst fire danger day since Black Saturday.
To continue reading, log in if you are a subscriber
Enjoy 2 weeks of unlimited digital access to The Straits Times. Get your free access now!