Attack on mass transit seen as top Super Bowl security risk
Published on Jan 30, 2014 6:12 AM
NEW YORK (REUTERS) - Bomb attacks of the kind that tore through mass transit sites in Russia ahead of the upcoming Sochi Olympics are a top concern of security officials preparing for Sunday's Super Bowl, the head of the New Jersey State Police said on Wednesday, Jan 29, 2014.
While law enforcement officials said they were not aware of any specific threats targeting the Feb 2 National Football League championship in East Rutherford, New Jersey, attacks like those that killed 34 people in two days in Russia late last year are their biggest worry.
"Of particular concern to us is what was going on overseas in Volgograd in regard to the Sochi Olympics. As you know both of those bombings were targeting mass transit," Superintendent Rick Fuentes of the New Jersey State Police, told reporters. "That is a concern with the mass transit, we've prepared ourselves for it."
Officials have sharply limited parking at MetLife Stadium, where Sunday's game will be played, and expect as many as 30,000 people to arrive by bus or rail.
To continue reading, log in if you are a subscriber
Enjoy 2 weeks of unlimited digital access to The Straits Times. Get your free access now!