Afghan arrested over rogue attack on Australian troops
SYDNEY (AFP) - An Afghan soldier accused of shooting dead three Australian troops in an insider attack was captured in Pakistan and is expected to be tried for murder, officials said on Wednesday.
General David Hurley, chief of the Australian Defence Force, said the Afghan National Army Sergeant, Hekmatullah, was arrested by Pakistan intelligence officials over the August 2012 shooting at a small patrol base in southern Uruzgan province.
"Overnight, he was deported to Afghanistan where he is expected to face trial for the murder of Lance Corporal Stjepan 'Rick' Milosevic, Sapper James Martin and Private Robert Poate during an insider attack at Patrol Base Wahab in Afghanistan," he said.
Australia was first notified of Hekmatullah's capture in February and negotiations had been under way since then to arrange his transfer from Pakistan.