49 dead in 24 hours of clashes on Egypt revolt anniversary
Published on Jan 26, 2014 3:53 PM
CAIRO (AFP) - At least 49 people have been killed in 24 hours of clashes that erupted on Saturday during rival rallies marking the anniversary of Egypt's 2011 revolt, the health ministry said.
In addition, 247 people were injured, the ministry said in a statement on Sunday.
The interior ministry said for its part that 1,079 people had been arrested during the demonstrations that came three years after the start of the uprising that forced long-serving autocrat Hosni Mubarak to quit.
The clashes broke out between protesters who support deposed Islamist president Mohamed Mursi and those backing the military, which ousted him in July after a single turbulent year in power.
To continue reading, log in if you are a subscriber
Enjoy 2 weeks of unlimited digital access to The Straits Times. Get your free access now!