3rd person dies from Yosemite park virus
LOS ANGELES (AFP) - A third victim has died from a rare rodent-borne virus contracted in Yosemite National Park, out of eight cases now confirmed with the disease, authorities at the United States (US) tourist spot said on Thursday.
The park has issued warnings to some 10,000 people both within the United States and overseas who visited Yosemite between June 10 and late August, and stayed in a specific area of tent cabins.
Previously the number of confirmed cases of hantavirus pulmonary syndrome (HPS) was put at six, with two fatalities.
The park said on Thursday eight cases were confirmed and three people had died, adding: "The five remaining individuals are either improving or recovering." "We want to make sure that visitors have clear information about this rare virus and understand the importance of early medical care," said Yosemite Superintendent Don Neubacher.