2 die of Mers in Saudi capital ahead of annual haj
RIYADH (AFP) - Two Saudis have died in Riyadh after they contracted the MERS virus, health authorities announced on Thursday, as the kingdom prepares to host some two million Muslim pilgrims for the annual hajj.
The two men, aged 78 and 55, had also suffered from other chronic diseases, the ministry said on its website. It did not specify when the deaths occurred.
Meanwhile, authorities recorded two more infections bringing to 119, the number of people infected in the kingdom since the disease first appeared in Saudi Arabia in September 2012, the ministry said.
The MERS virus has so far claimed 58 lives worldwide, with the greatest number of deaths from the respiratory disease - 51 - in Saudi Arabia itself, including the latest two.