Olympics: China star skater confirms she's out of Sochi Games with broken ankle
BEIJING (AFP) - China's most decorated winter Olympian has confirmed that she will miss next month's Sochi Games after suffering a broken ankle, state media reported.
Short track speed skater Wang Meng told state broadcaster China Central Television (CCTV) there was no chance she would participate in the Winter Olympics, which begin in two weeks.
The loss of the 28-year-old star is a bitter blow for China, as she took three of the national team's five gold medals at the 2010 Winter Games in Vancouver.
Wang suffered a double fracture when she collided with a male team-mate while training in Shanghai last week, the sports authorities said, raising serious doubts over her participation.
Asked by CCTV if there was no chance she could participate, she said: "Correct".
"I think people are waiting for a miracle, which is something that could never happen," she said in an interview broadcast late on Thursday.
"Going to Sochi, I think... I hope my team-mate could make it instead of me."
At the 2010 Winter Olympics in Canada, the current overall world champion won gold in the 500m, 1,000m and 3,000m relay.
She also won the 500m at the Turin Winter Olympics in 2006, along with the 1,000m silver and 1,500m bronze.
The skater, from the icy north-eastern province of Heilongjiang, has developed an image as the "rebel" of Chinese sport after several run-ins with authority.
Wang was banned from competition for 13 months after being involved in a drunken brawl with a coach in 2011 in the eastern city of Qingdao.
She and her team-mates were also forced to make a "reconciliation" following a separate drunken confrontation with security guards in Yunnan in June 2011.
Prior to that, she was dropped from the national team for half a year in 2007 for criticising a coach for poor tactics at the Asian Winter Games.