Football: Sri Lankan ex-Fifa exco member Fernando to appeal lengthy ban
COLOMBO (AP) - Former Fifa executive committee member Vernon Manilal Fernando plans to appeal his eight-year ban from football.
In a statement issued by his lawyers on Wednesday, the Sri Lankan said he was "naturally disappointed" with the suspension announced by Fifa on Tuesday and still had not been told what provisions of its ethics code he had breached.
"Mr Fernando ... is confident that he will clear his name. He is prepared to take this matter to the Court of Arbitration for Sport," Nithi Murugesu and Associates said in a statement.
Harsha Abeykoon, a spokesman for Sri Lanka's sports ministry, said two committees had already been set up to investigate alleged financial and administrative irregularities in the Sri Lanka Football Federation.