Football: Shenhua chairman says Drogba row not over
Published on Sep 17, 2012 3:06 PM
SHANGHAI (AFP) - The billionaire chairman of Chinese football club Shanghai Shenhua has said a boardroom dispute threatening the future of foreign stars including Didier Drogba and Nicolas Anelka is not over.
Drogba started Saturday's game against Liaoning Whowin, and scored their last goal in a 3-0 win, after Shenhua head coach Sergio Batista said the row had been "basically resolved".
But Mr Zhu Jun, a flamboyant online gaming tycoon who has bankrolled the club for years and reportedly threatened to withhold the salaries of foreign players, who also number Colombian midfielder Giovanni Moreno, denied any deal.
He is said to be demanding other shareholders grant him majority control of the club and on his microblog - China's equivalent to Twitter - issued a new deadline for agreement to be reached by the end of the month.
To continue reading, log in if you are a subscriber
If you are not a subscriber, you can get instant, unlimited access here