Sunday, Dec 28, 2014Sunday, Dec 28, 2014
 

Football: Brazil govt denies Cuiaba Cup problems

Published on Feb 18, 2014 6:45 AM
 
Smoke billows from the partially-constructed Arena Pantanal soccer stadium, projected to host 2014 World Cup matches, from a fire in the base of the structure, in Cuiaba, on Oct 25, 2013.  World Cup preparations are on target at the venue of Cuiaba, Brazilian sports Minister Aldo Rebelo said on Monday, shrugging off reports an October fire had caused structural problems. -- FILE PHOTO: REUTERS

BRASïLIA (AFP) - World Cup preparations are on target at the venue of Cuiaba, Brazilian sports Minister Aldo Rebelo said on Monday, shrugging off reports an October fire had caused structural problems.

"I visited the statdium at Cuiaba last week and work is ongoing (but) there is no work ongoing in terms of concrete or metal structures - all has been completed," Mr Rebelo told a news conference in Brasilia.

Mr Rebelo said that the government deemed an initial report from constructors insufficient and had called for an additional independent assessment.

But speaking alongside visiting Fifa secretary-general Jerome Valcke, Mr Rebelo insisted that "last October's small fire has not compromised any structure fundamental to the functioning" of the stadium, which will host four group phase games.

 
If you are not a subscriber, you can get instant, unlimited access here