Saturday, Aug 2, 2014Saturday, Aug 2, 2014
News
 

Boxing: Manny Pacquiao denies imminent showdown with Floyd Mayweather

Published on Jan 4, 2014 6:06 PM
 
Manny Pacquiao (right) of the Philippines, fights Brandon Rios (left) of the US during their World Boxing Organisation (WBO) International 12-round welterweight boxing title fight at the Venetian Macao hotel in Macau on Nov 24, 2013. Pacquiao has dismissed reports that he and American Floyd Mayweather are to hold talks about fighting each other, questioning whether a bout will ever happen. -- FILE PHOTO: REUTERS

MANILA (AFP) - Filipino boxing superstar Manny Pacquiao has dismissed reports that he and American Floyd Mayweather are to hold talks about fighting each other, questioning whether a bout will ever happen.

Manila newspapers were abuzz with talk over Christmas that a September 2014 date had been set, but Pacquiao, 35, told the website Philboxing.com that a deal is not imminent.

"I have no plans to go to the United States to talk to Floyd. That's not true," he said. "If it's a done deal already, how come I do not know anything about it?"

The boxer-turned-congressman convincingly beat American Brandon Rios in Macau in November, after successive losses to American Tim Bradley and Mexican Juan Manuel Marquez. The comeback win sparked renewed speculation of a long-awaited Mayweather bout.

 
If you are not a subscriber, you can get instant, unlimited access here