Worksites to be closely inspected after two cases of formwork structures collapsing
The Ministry of Manpower said it will step up inspections of worksites islandwide over a two-week period from Jan 20, following a recent spate of serious accidents involving formwork structures which collapsed.
In the last week alone, two such accidents took place, but no workers were seriously injured. Preliminary findings showed that the formwork structures gave way during the concrete casting process, indicating that the structures were unable to support the load imposed on them during the casting process, said the ministry in a statement issued on Saturday.
In the first case which took place on Jan 10 at Lian Soon Construction Pte Ltd's worksite along Bishan Street 13, a group of workers were carrying out concreting work for the second floor's slab of an indoor sports hall under construction when the support structure became unstable. Before the structure gave way, the group of workers left but one of them lost his footing and suffered minor injures.
A day later, a second accident occurred at SH Design & Build Pte Ltd's worksite along Yishun Industrial Street 1. Preliminary findings showed that a group of workers were carrying out concreting work for the second floor's slab of a light industrial building under construction when the support structure started to sink and later gave way. The workers escaped in time and none were injured.