A 'wheel' fun tour of Marina Bay waterfront
URA puts out tender for guided tours on personal mobile transporters
Published on Jan 1, 2014 8:56 AM
Visitors to the Marina Bay waterfront promenade will soon be able to zip around on motorised two-wheelers while taking in the city's skyline.
The Urban Redevelopment Authority (URA) will be introducing guided tours in which guides and participants move around on personal mobile transporters along a 3.5km stretch of the promenade that covers areas such as Marina Bay Sands, Gardens by the Bay and the Marina Barrage.
It has recently put out a tender calling for proposals to operate such tours in the heart of the city.
"We are looking to tell the Marina Bay story in more fun and engaging ways and to make it more attractive for people to visit and spend time at the waterfront promenade," said a URA spokesman.
To continue reading, log in if you are a subscriber
If you are not a subscriber, you can get instant, unlimited access here
Safety first on the tour
SAFETY guidelines for tours on personal mobile transporters in the Marina Bay waterfront promenade:
- Speed of the mobile transporters must be capped at 10kmh
- The size of each mobile transporter cannot exceed 0.8m in length and 0.8m in width
- The guides and participants must move in single file at all times along the upper promenade to minimise chances of collision
- No more than 20 mobile transporters to be deployed in the area at any one point in time
- The guide-to-participant ratio should be one guide to up to four participants
- No tours to be conducted after 7pm
- All participants need to undergo training and be assessed by the guide to be competent in controlling the transporters before embarking on the tours