Two in five basic bus services improved so far under $1.1 billion bus plan
Some 111 bus routes, or two in five services, have been improved since a $1.1 billion bus plan was launched last September.
Providing a one-year progress report of the Bus Service Enhancement Programme to reporters Monday morning, Transport Minister Lui Tuck Yew said nearly half of the 550 buses committed have been put on the road.
These additional buses have been used to run new bus routes and reduce waiting times and crowding on existing services, he said, adding that the programme has received good feedback. By the end of next year, another 200 buses will be rolled out. Mr Lui said a review will be conducted after 2014 to see what other improvements are needed.
Another two new routes will be rolled out by the end of this year to improve connectivity in areas such as Taman Jurong and Bukit Panjang. The Land Transport Authority said details of these new routes, expected to be short trunk services, are being worked out.