Thai teenager in train accident to appeal against High Court decision
The Thai teenager who lost both her legs in a train accident will be appealing against a High Court decision which ruled that rail operator SMRT and the Land Transport Authority (LTA) were not at fault for the accident.
Lawyer Peter Cuthbert Low confirmed with The Straits Times that a notice of appeal was filed in the Courts on Friday.
Earlier this month, Nitcharee Peneakchanasak, 17, saw her bid to claim $3.4 million in damages over the April 2011 accident at Ang Mo Kio station dismissed by Justice Vinodh Coomaraswamy, who said that the station was "reasonably safe" at the time she was injured. Hence, the defendants were not liable.
Nitcharee was ordered to bear the cost of the 13-day trial in 2012, estimated to be in excess of $200,000. Last week, through their lawyer K. Anparasan of KhattarWong, the insurers of SMRT and LTA told The Straits Times that they may not pursue the trial costs from Nitcharee if she does not appeal against the High Court's decision.