Thursday, May 7, 2015Thursday, May 7, 2015

Sheng Siong kidnapping: 79-year-old victim released on road in sleepy Seletar aerospace park

Published on Jan 10, 2014 6:59 PM
Madam Ng is believed to have been dropped off by her kidnappers along Seletar Aerospace Drive. -- ST PHOTO: SEAH KWANG PENG

The Seletar Camp area where the Sheng Siong kidnapping victim was released is up the road from the famous Jalan Kayu roti prata shop, and once the site of the largest British Royal Airforce base in the Far East.

Built in the 1920s, it became operational in 1928. It came under the control of the Japanese during World War II and was returned to the British after the war in 1946.

After British forces withdrew from Singapore in 1971, the eastern side of the camp was handed over to the Singapore Armed Forces. This side of the camp functioned as a military facility while the western side - where Madam Ng Lye Poh was released - was used by commercial aircraft and open to the public. Bungalows that were previously used by British soldiers were leased out for housing.

The area has retained English road names such as Piccadilly Circus.

While part of the area is still occupied by Seletar Camp, the rest has in recent years been redeveloped into the Seletar Aerospace Park, with long, wide roads and low-rise hangars and buildings.

Helmed by the Jurong Town Corporation, the project is expected to develop about 140ha of land into a centre for the maintenance and repair of aircraft engines.

Police have said that Madam Ng was dropped off by her kidnappers along Seletar Aerospace Drive. This is adjacent to engine-maker Rolls Royce's sprawling 154,000sqm Seletar Campus. Only one public bus - number 103 - plies that stretch of road.

After sundown, much of the area is deserted other than for cars heading towards the nearby Seletar Country Club and vehicles with dating couples.

Madam Ng was found at about 12.20am on Thursday, about 12 hours after she was abducted near her home in Hougang Ave 2, about 8km from Seletar camp.

Mr Lim said he could not find his mother despite driving around the area, and had to turn to the police for help to get to the bus stop where his mother was released. 

Related stories: