Sunday, Dec 28, 2014Sunday, Dec 28, 2014
 

Rape victim's condition "taken a turn for the worse"

Published on Dec 28, 2012 11:27 PM
 
Senior correspondent Satendra Upadhyay (rear), from India TV Broadcast Centre, does his piece-to-camera (PTC) outside Mount Elizabeth Hospital on Dec 28, 2012, where the 23-year-old Indian gang rape victim still remains in extremely critical condition. Dr Kelvin Loh says her condition has "taken a turn for the worse". -- ST PHOTO: NEO XIAOBIN

The condition of the rape victim from New Delhi who is fighting for her life in Mount Elizabeth Hospital has deteriorated.

The hospital's chief executive officer, Dr Kelvin Loh, said her condition has "taken a turn for the worse", as of 9pm tonight.

"Her vital signs are deteriorating with signs of severe organ failure," he said in a statement.

"This is despite doctors fighting for her life including putting her on maximum artificial ventilation support, optimal antibiotic doses as well as stimulants which maximise her body's capability to fight infections."

Dr Loh said the 23-year-old woman's family members have been informed that her condition has worsened and they are "by her side to encourage and comfort her".

The High Commission of India is also with the woman and her family.

"Our medical team continues to provide all possible treatment and care," said Dr Loh.

The victim, a paramedical student whose name has not been revealed, was raped on Dec 16 by six men on a bus after she and a male companion had boarded it to go home after a movie.

The attackers have been arrested. The assault sparked public outcry and protests in India.

The victim was transferred from a hospital in India to Mount Elizabeth Hospital on Thursday. She was found to have infection of the lungs and abdomen, and significant injury to her brain. She had already undergone three abdominal operations and suffered a cardiac arrest in India.