Owen Road fire: Neighbours tried to save woman from flat
But thick smoke kept them from reaching 92-year-old wheelchair user
When a group of brave neighbours rushed into the home of 92-year-old P. Lakshmi early Wednesday evening, they saw the frame of her bed on fire.
But they could not get any nearer because there was simply too much fire and smoke.
Said Ms Nisha Abdul Rahim, who has lived at Owen Road's Block 47 all her life: "The smoke was so thick, it was hard to see. But I could see fire all round her bed. I couldn't hear any sound."
The elderly woman, who had to use a wheelchair to get around, is believed to have been in bed in the one-room rental flat at the time.