Thursday, Jul 10, 2014Thursday, Jul 10, 2014
News
 

Ng Boon Gay case: MHA says disciplinary action against him remains suspended

Published on Feb 14, 2013 7:44 PM
PRINT EMAIL
 
Mr Ng Boon Gay leaving the Subordinate Courts with his wife on Thursday, Feb 14, 2013. The Ministry of Home Affairs' (MHA) disciplinary proceedings against Mr Ng will continue to be suspended, pending the state prosecutors' assessment of the verdict. --ST PHOTO:  NURIA LING

The Ministry of Home Affairs' (MHA) disciplinary proceedings against Mr Ng Boon Gay will continue to be suspended, pending the state prosecutors' assessment of the verdict.

Earlier on Thursday, Mr Ng, the former head of the Central Narcotics Bureau (CNB), was found not guilty of obtaining oral sex from IT executive Cecilia Sue in exchange for business favours.

In giving him a discharge amounting to an acquittal, District Judge Siva Shanmugam said he was "satisfied that the prosecution has failed to hold a case" against the former top cop beyond reasonable doubt.

The Attorney General's Chambers (AGC) said it will study the judgment and assess whether or not to appeal.

Asked if Mr Ng will be reinstated to his position at CNB, which comes under the Ministry of Home Affairs, a spokesman said the ministry had started civil service disciplinary proceedings against Mr Ng in late January last year on charges of serious personal misconduct.

Mr Ng had also been interdicted from duties pending the outcome of these proceedings.

The disciplinary proceedings were subsequently held in abeyance following the corruption charges that were brought against him.

The spokesman noted that the AGC is studying the judgment.

"Disciplinary proceedings will continue to be held in abeyance in the meantime," he said.