Little India Riot: Three suspects remanded another week for follow-up investigations
Published on Dec 19, 2013 3:21 PM
Three more alleged rioters in the Dec 8 incident in Little India were on Thursday afternoon ordered to be remanded until the following week to assist in ongoing investigations.
Agreeing to the prosecution's request, District Judge Lim Tse Haw cited the scale and sheer amount of evidence involved in the case for the trio to be remanded at 'A' Division. The case against them will be heard next Monday, along with 25 others who had appeared in court earlier in the week.
All Indian nationals, namely Karuppaiah Chandrasekar, 31, Palanivel Dhasmohan, 27, and Arumugam Karthik, 24, had been charged in court last week (on different days) for being part of an unlawful assembly at Little India on Dec 8.
A riot was sparked on that day after a fatal traffic accident involving construction worker Sakthivel Kumaravelu, a 33-year-old Indian national, and a private bus operated by BT&Tan.
Two of the accused Karuppaiah Chandrasekar and Palanivel Dhasmohan, were alleged to have thrown hardened concrete at police officers.
The third, Arumugam Karthik, is said to have been part of a group of at least five that had overturned and set a police car on fire, as well as thrown a dustbin, hardened concrete, bottles and a metal drain cover at the bus windscreen and windows.
When asked if they had anything to say, the three men, who were dressed in yellow polo tees, all shook their heads.
Lawyer Amarick Gill told the court that all three men have met the Criminal Legal Aid Scheme (CLAS) criteria, and that pro bono lawyers will be assigned to them, if they do not instead seek their own representation.
Speaking to reporters after proceedings ended, Mr Gill said that the CLAS list of volunteer lawyers have been finalised, and that the assignment of lawyers - one to each of the 26 accused who have not engaged their own counsel - will take place over the weekend, in time for the next hearing on Monday afternoon.