Ikea offers free repair kits for lamp after infant in Scotland dies from strangulation
Ikea Singapore is urging customers who have bought wall-mounted lamp from its store to keep the lamp and cord out of reach of children and to fasten it securely to the wall.
An infant from Scotland died in his cot after getting tangled with cord of a Smila lamp in October last year. An Ikea spokesman told the Straits Times they were only informed by the authorities that an Ikea lamp was involved this May. On May 27, the lamps were taken off the shelves of Ikea stores worldwide. No children have been reported injured in Singapore.
In a press release on Wednesday, Ikea apologised for any inconvenience caused and warned that loose lamp cords can be a strangulation hazard to infants and young children.
Customers can visit the Ikea stores or call 6786-6868 to receive a repair kit at no cost. They do not need to bring a proof of purchase. This repair kit contains a warning label, safety instructions and self-adhesive fasteners to fix the lamp cord to the wall.