IJ Home to hold charity dinner to raise $1.5m for upgrade
For the first time in a century and a half, the Infant Jesus Homes and Children's Centres (IJHCC) is on a large-scale fund-raising campaign.
It has already collected $3 million of the $4.5 million needed to upgrade the IJ Home in Ang Mo Kio Street 13.
To be renamed IJ Village, the former orphanage will not only house elderly residents, but also function as a residential and crisis shelter as well as provide learning support programmes for at-risk children and teenagers.
Among the elderly orphans who have spent more than 50 years at the home is Ms Teo Poh Choo, who has been living there since she was abandoned by her parents when she was in her teens.
1854: Infant Jesus (IJ) Sisters arrive in Singapore and set up Convent Orphanage in Victoria Street to take in abandoned babies and children.
1968: Girls' Town is set up in Bukit Timah for teenage orphans.
1970s: Convent Orphanage is renamed the Infant Jesus Convent Orphanage and Home for Abandoned Babies.
1980: IJ Centre opens in Clementi. It introduces learning support programmes and provides residential care for disadvantaged children.
1982: Galilee Centre opens in Jalan Kayu to offer learning support programmes for the children of farmers in the area.
1983: Infant Jesus Convent Orphanage and Home for Abandoned Babies moves out of Victoria Street to Ang Mo Kio.
1995: Infant Jesus Convent Orphanage and Home for Abandoned Babies renamed the Infant Jesus Homes and Children's Centres.
1995: Galilee Centre moves to Ang Mo Kio to help the low-income families there.
2008: An Out-Of-School Hours Programme, named Oasis, opens in Clementi Primary School to provide care services for disadvantaged pupils.
2013: IJ Village to be built at a cost of $4.5 million. It will house elderly residents, provide learning support programmes and function as a residential and crisis shelter for at-risk children and teenagers.