Wednesday, Nov 26, 2014Wednesday, Nov 26, 2014
News
 

Government will continue building ECs and has moved to fix earlier abuse: Khaw

Published on Jan 14, 2013 2:59 PM
 
The Government will continue building executive condominiums (ECs) and has moved to fix loopholes in the EC policy, Minister for National Development Khaw Boon Wan said today in Parliament. -- ST PHOTO: SEAH KWANG PENG

The Government will continue building executive condominiums (ECs) and has moved to fix loopholes in the EC policy, Minister for National Development Khaw Boon Wan said today in Parliament.

He noted that the Government has now capped EC unit sizes to 160 sq m to keep prices affordable and has also required dual-key units to be sold only to multi-generational families to prevent buyers from taking advantage of such units for immediate rental yield. These measures were announced last Friday.

Several Members of Parliament then pressed the minister on whether recent launches of super-large and pricey EC units were a violation of the original spirit and intent of the Government's EC policy.

They asked Mr Khaw if the ministry would consider imposing price caps, why approval had been given to launch such large and expensive EC units and whether Singapore should even continue with the EC scheme.

 
If you are not a subscriber, you can get instant, unlimited access here