Foul play not ruled out for man's torso in Bedok reservoir
Published on Oct 19, 2012 3:24 PM
THE man whose lower torso was found in Bedok resevoir last year was likely to have committed suicide, but foul play cannot be ruled out as part of the body is still missing, said State Coroner Imran Abdul Hamid today.
At the inquiry into the death of 23-year old Lin Xiao, Coroner Imran said: "No one saw him going into the water. Although the (suicide) hypothesis is persuasive, the court cannot exclude all possibilities. Some of the remains have not been found and the matter is open for re-investigation."
Investigation officer Lee Chen Hooi testified that Mr Lin was last seen alive by his mother leaving his Chai Chee house at about 7am on April 28 last year to walk to the Kaki Bukit workshop where he had been working as an apprentice mechanic for seven months.
But that day, he did not take his mobile phone or his bag to work, which Senior Staff-Sergeant Lee said was "abnormal".
To continue reading, log in if you are a subscriber
Enjoy 2 weeks of unlimited digital access to The Straits Times. Get your free access now!