Tuesday, Jun 30, 2015Tuesday, Jun 30, 2015
News
 

City Harvest Scandal: It'll be over by next year, Kong tells churchgoers

Pastor reassures followers in wake of COC bid to remove him from office

Published on Apr 15, 2013 6:00 AM
 
City Harvest Church founder Kong Hee and his wife Ho Yeow Sun leaving court last year. Kong and seven church leaders were suspended by the Commissioner of Charities last year after an inquiry revealed fund mismanagement. -- ST FILE PHOT

City Harvest Church founding pastor Kong Hee rallied his congregation during the weekend's church services, telling them that by next year, "everything should be all over".

This was the first time that he had spoken to churchgoers since the Commissioner of Charities (COC) said last Tuesday that it is acting to remove him and seven church leaders from office over multimillion-dollar corruption allegations.

Its bid to oust them is the latest setback that City Harvest - with over 19,800 active followers - has suffered since Kong was among around a dozen of its leaders questioned after complaints about church finances in 2010.

Yesterday, he assured his congregation: "You've been holding on for three years. One more year. One more year and it will be all over."

 
Enjoy 2 weeks of unlimited digital access to The Straits Times. Get your free access now!

Background story

WHAT KONG SAID

Reassuring his congregation

"You've been holding on for three years. One more year. One more year and it will be all over."

On his innocence

"And yes, I do maintain my integrity."

Tempering the church's optimism

"While I don't know what is going to happen one year from now, I don't know will I still be standing here, but (from) the way you clap, I better be standing here."