Budget 2014: A quarter of pioneers not on MediShield
Some never worked, others opted out of health insurance scheme, says MOH
Published on Feb 23, 2014 10:13 AM
About one in four among the pioneer generation is not covered under MediShield, and the proportion is higher among the older pioneers.
Among those not insured by the national health insurance scheme, some were not covered as they had never worked before. Others may have opted out, the Health Ministry (MOH) said in reply to queries from The Sunday Times yesterday.
This group of seniors is likely to be at risk of having to pay for larger hospital bills, and many were unable to sign on or get back on Medi- Shield because they could not afford the premiums or had pre-existing conditions.
This will soon change after the benefits of the Pioneer Generation Package kick in.
To continue reading, log in if you are a subscriber
If you are not a subscriber, you can get instant, unlimited access here
IN TOMORROW'S STRAITS TIMES
Did Budget 2014 live up to expectations?
See what these experts said at The Straits Times Budget Roundtable discussion:
- Ms Gan Kwee Lian, partner, tax, KPMG
- Mr Ho Meng Kit, chief executive officer, Singapore Business Federation
- Mr Jimmy Koh, head of economics and investor relations, UOB
- Dr Lily Neo, Member of Parliament
- Dr Mary Ann Tsao, chairman, Tsao Foundation
- Mr Jeremy Lim, head of Asia-Pacific health and life sciences practice, Oliver Wyman