Friday, May 29, 2015Friday, May 29, 2015

Boy burned by 'liquid' on seat of bus stop in Bukit Batok

Published on Apr 20, 2013 7:49 AM
The area on Aung Phone Naing's right thigh, where a liquid, which could be acid, caused second-degree burns and maybe nerve damage. -- ST PHOTO: NEO XIAOBIN

A teenage boy suffered second-degree burns on his right thigh after sitting on what could have been acid at a bus stop in Bukit Batok.

When School of Science and Technology student Aung Phone Naing finally went to hospital, he was told he may have also suffered nerve damage. But tests failed to reveal what he sat on.

"I am confused that there is no answer. I'm worried that this would leave a mark on my leg," he told The Straits Times.

While waiting for a bus to take him to school on Wednesday morning, he decided to sit down as his schoolbag was heavy. Within a few seconds, he felt the right side of his pants getting wet. "I thought it was water, so I just wiped it away with my hand," said the bespectacled 14-year- old. "But my hand felt oily."

Enjoy 2 weeks of unlimited digital access to The Straits Times. Get your free access now!