21 deaths in 10 months in construction sector
IN 10 months, there have been 21 deaths in the construction sector - one short of the total fatalities the whole of last year.
Of these, 12 had occurred between July and October, when incidents such as the Downtown Line scaffolding collapse and a fall from height at a Tuas West Extension Line site happened.
"This is not something that we are proud of," said Mr Hawazi Daipi, Senior Parliamentary Secretary for Education and Manpower on Wednesday.
Adding to the statistics are workers who plunge to their deaths, which Mr Hawazi said "continues to be a grave area of concern". Seven of the 12 fall-from-height fatalities this year are from the construction sector, and falls involving formwork or structures are on the rise.