Woman in $288m "pork barrel" scandal surrenders to Philippine leader
MANILA (AFP) - A Philippine businesswoman who allegedly connived with legislators to embezzle 10 billion pesos (S$288 million) in funds intended for development projects has surrendered directly to President Benigno Aquino, officials said on Thursday.
Ms Janet Napoles turned herself in to Mr Aquino late Wednesday and asked for the president's protection.
"The president turned her over to the custody of Interior and Local Government Secretary Mar Roxas and Philippine National Police director general Alan Purisima for processing and booking," Mr Aquino's office said in a statement.
Mr Roxas said Ms Napoles, who had previously denied the allegations, had asked for protection from the president.