Tiger, lions die at Indonesian zoo after being poisoned
JAKARTA (AFP) - A critically endangered Sumatran tiger and two African lions have died at a zoo in western Indonesia after being poisoned, an official said on Tuesday.
The eight-year-old male tiger, named Peter by zookeepers, was found paralysed earlier this month at the Taman Rimbo zoo in Jambi province, after eating poisoned meat. He died a week later.
The African lions - a species classified as vulnerable - also died around the same time, said Mr Nurazman, an official from a government agency tasked with protecting wildlife and the environment.
A two-year-old female Sumatran tiger, the offspring of the tiger who died, also ate the tainted meat but survived, said Mr Nurazman, who like many Indonesians goes by one name.