Tallying issues cut number of missing in Philippine ferry disaster to 85
MANILA (AFP) - The number of people missing from a Philippine ferry disaster dropped from 170 to 85 on Sunday, the authorities said, with the lower figure due to tallying issues rather than new rescue.
The Philippine Coast Guard said as of 10am, the death toll from the sunken St Thomas Aquinas ferry stood at 34, with 85 others missing. The number of missing was cut from 170 after all those involved in the search reconciled their figures, and not because of late rescues, said Mr Neil Sanchez, regional disaster management office head in the central city of Cebu.
More than 700 people had been rescued, according to the Coast Guard.
The St Thomas Aquinas was passing through a narrow strait in the port of Cebu in the when it collided with a cargo ship on Friday night.