Philippines stands firm in diplomatic row with Hong Kong, refuses to apologise
Published on Jan 30, 2014 3:14 PM
MANILA (AFP) - The Philippines insisted on Thursday it would not apologise for a 2010 hostage crisis in which Hong Kong tourists died, saying its response to the tragedy had been generous and compassionate.
The statement came after the Hong Kong government announced on Wednesday it would impose diplomatic sanctions against the Philippines because of its "unacceptable" failure to apologise.
"The Philippine Government regrets the Hong Kong SAR Government's implementation of sanctions against the Philippines," foreign affairs spokesman Raul Hernandez said in a statement.
However he said the Philippines "is not prepared to consider" an apology.
To continue reading, log in if you are a subscriber
If you are not a subscriber, you can get instant, unlimited access here