Philippines mulls removing 'Chinese' blocks at disputed shoal
MANILA (AFP) - Philippine officials are considering removing concrete blocks allegedly installed by China on a disputed shoal in the South China Sea, the Filipino navy chief said on Tuesday.
Vice Admiral Jose Luis Alano said no further activity had been detected at Scarborough Shoal since the defence department accused China last week of laying 75 concrete blocks on an underwater section of the outcrop. The territory is claimed by both Manila and Beijing.
Discussions were under way about how to "address" the issue but the final decision on whether or not to remove the blocks rests with the Philippine government not the military, he said.
"That's being discussed as to how to (do it), but I do not like to preempt what will the decision (be)," said Mr Alano, adding that the military continued to monitor activity at the shoal.