Philippines cleans up after Typhoon Nari
MANILA (AFP) - A major clean-up operation was under way in the Philippines on Sunday after Typhoon Nari pounded the archipelago's north, leaving 13 dead, as authorities issued a storm warning for the east of the country.
The military, along with civilian relief workers, struggled to clear roads of toppled trees and power pylons as they rushed to restore vital lifelines wrecked by Saturday's storm.
"The general situation is getting better, but it would take some time to clear the roads of fallen trees and (electrical) posts," civil defence office spokesman Reynaldo Balido told AFP.
He said power and telecommunication facilities had been restored in affected areas, although some cities and towns in five provinces on Luzon, the country's most populous island, were without electricity.