Saturday, Aug 23, 2014Saturday, Aug 23, 2014
SE Asia
 

Philippine military says 17 Muslim rebels, opposed to peace deal, killed

Published on Jan 28, 2014 12:10 PM
 
Philippine military personnel (L and R) man a mobile check point near the area where government troops and members of a Muslim renegade faction clashed in Rajah Buayan, Maguindanao province, on the southern island of Mindanao on January 27, 2014. The Philippine military said it killed 17 gunmen opposed to a peace deal between the government and the country's main Muslim rebel group in fighting that raged for a second day on January 28. --PHOTO:AFP

MANILA (AFP) - The Philippine military said Tuesday it had killed 17 militants opposed to a peace deal between the government and the country's main Muslim rebel group, as fighting raged for a second day.

More than 1,500 troops are involved in the offensive against the Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters (BIFF) in remote farming areas of the mainly Catholic country's Muslim south, regional military spokesman Colonel Dickson Hermoso said.

He said 17 BIFF members had been confirmed killed in this week's clashes, while two soldiers and one civilian were wounded.

The assault was launched on Monday, two days after the successful end of negotiations between the government and the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (Milf) aimed at ending a decades-long insurgency that has killed tens of thousands.

 
If you are not a subscriber, you can get instant, unlimited access here

Videos