Myanmar govt apologises to monks over mine protest injuries
Published on Dec 8, 2012 11:31 AM
YANGON (REUTERS) - Myanmar's government has apologised for injuries, including serious burns, suffered last month by monks and others when riot police cleared camps set up to protest against evictions caused by the expansion of a copper mine.
Minister of Religious Affairs Myint Maung made a formal apology to 29 senior monks and said police regretted the incident, state-owned television reported late on Friday.
Activists said at least 50 people had been injured when riot police moved in at the Monywa mine in the northwest region of Sagaing on Nov 29. That included more than 20 Buddhist monks, some with burns blamed on incendiary devices thrown by police.
The mine is operated by the military-owned Union of Myanmar Economic Holdings Ltd working with a unit of China North Industries Corp, a Chinese weapons manufacturer.
To continue reading, log in if you are a subscriber
Enjoy 2 weeks of unlimited digital access to The Straits Times. Get your free access now!