Saturday, Dec 20, 2014Saturday, Dec 20, 2014

 

Malaysia says ocean objects are new lead in hunt for missing Malaysia Airlines jet

Published on Mar 20, 2014 12:54 PM
 
A handout photo taken on March 19, 2014 shows Royal Australian Air Force Airborne Electronics Analyst Flight Sergeant Tom Stewart from 10 Squadron watching a radar screen for signs of debris on board an AP-3C Orion over the Southern Indian Ocean during the search for missing Malaysian Airlines flight MH370. -- PHOTO: AFP  

KUALA LUMPUR (Reuters) - The discovery by satellite of two objects in the southern Indian Ocean is being treated as a lead in the search for a Malaysian airliner missing for 12 days, the top official in charge of the investigation said on Thursday.

"I can confirm we have a new lead... and I am meeting the Australian delegation now," acting Transport Minister Hishammuddin Hussein told reporters in Kuala Lumpur, where the investigation into the missing airliner is based.

"As we have been doing from day one, we have been following every single lead, and this time I just hope that it is a positive development," he said.

MH370 Australia graphic

"I was told that assets have been deployed to the area to verify what has already been said earlier this morning, and we are waiting for some information. It is too early to say which area and whether it is in the sea," he said, adding he did not know what kind of possible debris was involved.

"Every lead is a hope. We want to verify, we want to corroborate."

Investigators hope to provide a further update within a few hours, he said.He was speaking after Australia said it had sent aircraft to investigate two objects spotted by satellite floating in the sea.

Videos