Tuesday, Jul 29, 2014Tuesday, Jul 29, 2014
SE Asia
 

Malaysia Airlines clarifies it informs families of MH370 in person, via phone & SMS

Published on Mar 25, 2014 1:21 AM
 
A family member of a passenger aboard Malaysia Airlines MH370 breaking down at Lido Hotel in Beijing on March 24, 2014, after watching a television broadcast of the news conference announcing the loss of the flight. -- PHOTO: REUTERS

KUALA LUMPUR - Malaysia Airlines (MAS) has clarified that it informed families in person, via telephone and SMS ahead of Prime Minister Najib Razak's announcement that flight MH370 had been lost in Indian Ocean.

"As the Prime Minister said, respect for the families is essential at this difficult time. And it is in that spirit that we informed the majority of the families in advance of the Prime Minister's statement in person and by telephone,'' MAS said.

"SMSs were used only as an additional means of communicating with the families,'' it added.

Its comments came amid criticisms that MAS had conveyed the latest development on MH370 via a short SMS to families.

The airlines also said arrangements will be made to bring the families to the recovery area.

"Those families have been at the heart of every action the company has taken since the flight disappeared on 8th March and they will continue to be so.

"When Malaysia Airlines receives approval from the investigating authorities, arrangements will be made to bring the families to the recovery area and until that time, we will continue to support the ongoing investigation,'' it said.

Videos