Friday, Dec 26, 2014Friday, Dec 26, 2014

 

Australian authorities say MH370 search shifts north

Published on Mar 28, 2014 12:19 PM
 
A navigation screen used by pilots aboard a Royal Australian Air Force AP-3C Orion aircraft during the search for MH370 in the Indian Ocean. -- PHOTO: REUTERS

SYDNEY (REUTERS) - Australian authorities said on Friday that they have abandoned the previous search area in the southern Indian Ocean for wreckage of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370, in favour of a new site more than 1,000 km north.

"We have moved on from those search areas to the newest credible lead," Mr John Young, general manager of the emergency response division of AMSA, told reporters in Canberra.

Mr Young said the revised data, which was based on the jet travelling at a faster but constant speed than previously thought, could be revised still further as analysis continued.

MH370 graphic: Object sightings in Indian Ocean

Videos