Australia says MH370 search to continue 'indefinitely'
Published on Mar 22, 2014 1:55 PM
PERTH (AFP) - Australia's deputy prime minister on Saturday said the search for Malaysian flight MH370 would continue "indefinitely", insisting satellite images of two objects were still the best lead so far.
Australia is coordinating the hunt in the vast southern search corridor for the jet carrying 239 people that vanished two weeks ago, focusing for a third day on an area of wild and remote sea 2,500km southwest of Perth.
Despite 15 sorties by Australian, American and New Zealand surveillance aircraft, nothing has been sighted in the desolate area since Canberra announced on Thursday that two objects had spotted in the southern Indian Ocean that could be related to the plane.
Six planes are involved in the search Saturday and Deputy Prime Minister Warren Truss said they had drawn a blank so far, but insisted it was not a futile exercise in such a vast and distant area.
To continue reading, log in if you are a subscriber
Enjoy 2 weeks of unlimited digital access to The Straits Times. Get your free access now!