Australia says fruitless MH370 search effort not wasted
Published on Mar 28, 2014 1:42 PM
CANBERRA (AFP) - Australian authorities searching for Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 denied their fruitless scouring of the southern Indian Ocean had been a waste of time on Friday, as they shifted to a new search area.
The Australian Maritime Safety Authority (Amsa) has been coordinating an international hunt for the missing Boeing 777 in hostile waters some 2,500km southwest of Perth for 11 days.
But no debris has been found and new analysis of radar and satellite data identified an area nearer to land and further north as the likely crash site.
"That is now our best place to go," Amsa chief John Young told reporters in Canberra announcing a new search zone 1,100km northeast of the previous area.
To continue reading, log in if you are a subscriber
Enjoy 2 weeks of unlimited digital access to The Straits Times. Get your free access now!