6 militants face charges for Philippines bar bombing
MANILA (AP) - Philippine police have filed murder complaints against six Muslim militants from a little-known Al-Qaeda-inspired group they blamed for a bombing last month that killed eight people in a crowded bar in the south, officials said on Wednesday.
Witnesses identified Usman Hapids of Khilafa Islamiyah Mindanao as the man who left a mortar round concealed in a bag that went off in a bar at a shopping mall complex, killing eight people and wounding 46 in Cagayan de Oro city, said regional police chief Catalino Rodriguez.
He told a Senate committee that was looking into the July 26 blast that the complaints filed against Hapids and his companions before government prosecutors were part of a legal offensive to help discourage other such bloody attacks.
Despite a security alarm set off by the explosion, a series of bombings rocked other southern regions this week, including in Cotabato city, where a powerful bomb rigged into a small van exploded on a busy avenue during rush hour on Monday, killing eight people and wounding more than 30.