34,000 evacuated as floodwaters continue to rise in Malaysia
Situation worse than last year, with heavy rain expected till March
Published on Dec 5, 2013 6:41 AM
Floods in Malaysia this year are shaping up to be one of the worst since 2007, with more than 34,000 people evacuated so far and water levels continuing to rise in Johor, Pahang, Terengganu and Kelantan.
By yesterday evening, the Johor authorities had evacuated 8,402 people from districts in the north and east of the state - Mersing, Batu Pahat, Muar, Kota Tinggi, Kluang and Segamat - to 57 relief stations statewide.
"We are still evacuating a few hundred people or maybe more tonight," said a spokesman for the Johor disaster relief operations centre.
In Mersing, invigilators carrying test papers for Malaysia's equivalent of the O-level examination travelled by military vehicles to reach schools, as some routes were passable only to heavy vehicles, according to Bernama. However, officials said no students were prevented by the floods from sitting their exams.
To continue reading, log in if you are a subscriber
If you are not a subscriber, you can get instant, unlimited access here