Volkswagen's labour chief says US operations a "disaster"
Published on Jan 22, 2014 10:50 PM
WOLFSBURG, Germany (REUTERS) - Volkswagen's top labour representative has dubbed the carmaker's United States operations a "disaster" and urged more models and swifter decisions to help revive the German group's declining fortunes in the world's second-largest auto market.
While VW has risen to become the biggest automaker in China and Europe, the group still has not fully understood how to succeed in the United States, Mr Bernd Osterloh, VW's works council chief, told reporters in Wolfsburg on Wednesday.
"The US are a case of disaster" for VW, said Mr Osterloh who also sits on the carmaker's supervisory board.
The German multi-brand group last month ousted US divisional chief Jonathan Browning who oversaw the much-lauded 2011 launch of the midsize Passat, sales of which declined 6.3 per cent last year following a 2011 to 2012 surge.
To continue reading, log in if you are a subscriber
Enjoy 2 weeks of unlimited digital access to The Straits Times. Get your free access now!