Dolce & Gabbana 'tax dodge' trial opens in Italy
Published on Dec 4, 2012 6:28 AM
ROME (AFP) - The trial of fashion house duo Dolce & Gabbana for allegedly failing to declare 840 million euros (S$1.4 billion) in revenues to tax authorities in Italy opened Monday, according to local media reports.
The trial was immediately postponed until next week, after the defence team for Domenico Dolce and Stefano Gabbano called for the case to be thrown out on the grounds that some legal documents had been omitted, the reports said.
Judge Antonella Brambilla said she would rule on the plea on Dec 14. The designers' lawyer, Massimo Dinoia, was not available for comment.
The pair are accused of having transferred control of their Dolce & Gabbana and D&G brands to a shell company in Luxembourg in 2004 and 2005, thereby avoiding paying Italian taxes of around 420 million euros.
To continue reading, log in if you are a subscriber
If you are not a subscriber, you can get instant, unlimited access here