Vote for your favourite production in the inaugural Readers' Choice Award
Published on May 28, 2013 6:00 AM
For the first time, readers of The Straits Times will get to vote online for their favourite theatre production of 2012 – and win a night’s stay at the W Singapore hotel in Sentosa Cove.
They will get to stay at the W’s Fabulous Room, which boasts panoramic views of the South China Sea.
Another 10 winners will also get a pair of tickets each to the live debate and Life! Theatre Awards ceremony on July 1.
Voting closes on June 17 at 6pm.
These are the six productions that Life! has shortlisted for the inaugural Readers’ Choice Award, which will be presented at the awards.
The productions are:
- Company, by Dream World Productions: This slick adaptation of the Stephen Sondheim musical, directed by Hossan Leong, revolved around a swinging bachelor adrift in a group of married friends. It featured a strong Singapore cast belting out toe-tapping showtunes and holding the stage with warmth and wit.
- La Cage Aux Folles, by Wild Rice: The poignant and sweetly Singaporean take on the Broadway classic starred Ivan Heng and Tony Eusoff as a gay couple dealing with their son’s straight romance – he wants to marry the daughter of an ultra-conservative politician. Lots of fun and feathers.
- Lao Jiu: The Musical by The Theatre Practice: This work, about a boy choosing to be an artist despite family disapproval, was a reboot of theatre doyen Kuo Pao Kun’s Lao Jiu (1990) directed by his daughter, Kuo Jian Hong. It boasted some of the most dynamic songwriting and choreography of the year.
- National Broadway Company, by Esplanade: This extravagant love letter to Singapore theatre was commissioned for the Esplanade’s 10th anniversary celebrations and directed by Ong Keng Sen. The who’s who of Singapore theatre scene, all played by different actors, vie for the role of artistic director of an imagined National Broadway Company.
- Roots, by The Finger Players: A move away from the other lush musicals, this touching and virtuosic one-man show created by and starring the multi-hyphenate practitioner Oliver Chong follows him on a intimate and personal journey back to China – and through his own family history.
- Spring Awakening, by Pangdemonium! Productions: This award-winning rock musical brought a breath of fresh air to the Singapore stage with a host of new and enthusiastic faces in the cast. Think prim and proper German society meets teenage angst, coupled with an exploration of blossoming sexual identity.