Lucas hails new Star Wars film director Abrams
Published on Jan 27, 2013 7:19 AM
LOS ANGELES (AFP) - Sci-fi and action filmmaker J.J. Abrams will direct the next Star Wars film, the franchise's creators and owners confirmed on Saturday, saying its "legacy couldn't be in better hands."
George Lucas's Lucasfilm, bought by entertainment giant Disney for US$4 billion (S$5 billion) in October, said Oscar-winning writer Michael Arndt will write the screenplay for Star Wars: Episode VII, due out in 2015.
"It's very exciting to have J.J. aboard, leading the charge as we set off to make a new Star Wars movie," said Kathleen Kennedy, who took over last year as president of Lucasfilm, confirming industry media reports.
"J.J. is the perfect director to helm this... He understands the essence of the Star Wars experience, and will bring that talent to create an unforgettable motion picture," she added, in a statement issued by Disney.
To continue reading, log in if you are a subscriber
Enjoy 2 weeks of unlimited digital access to The Straits Times. Get your free access now!