George Clooney hopeful Europe will give panned movie fresh start
Published on Feb 9, 2014 6:36 AM
BERLIN (AFP) - Hollywood star George Clooney said on Saturday that he is hopeful European audiences will respond to his light-touch wartime drama The Monuments Men after it got a mauling from United States (US) critics.
Clooney presented the picture at the 64th Berlin film festival about a real-life corps of middle-aged art experts who go behind enemy lines to rescue precious works from the Nazis, one day after it opened in US cinemas.
He said the film had been in the works for three years so the "amazing find" in Munich that emerged in November of a hoard of hundreds of missing artworks believed looted by the Nazis had been pure coincidence.
Initial feedback has been savage, with film industry bible Variety flaying the picture as an "exceedingly dull and dreary caper pic" while the New York Times called Clooney's direction "stolid" and "pandering".
To continue reading, log in if you are a subscriber
Enjoy 2 weeks of unlimited digital access to The Straits Times. Get your free access now!